Having previously completed my own 'Self-Build' project where I undertook all of the following tasks:
- Full design from inception through to obtaining Planning Permission & Building Control Approval.
- Full costings exercises and budgetary control throughout.
- Liaison with all consultants, Utility companies, NHBC and Customs & Excise.
- Detailed research into a range of products and construction methods.
- Detailed research into 'Life Cycle Costings' whereby the costs throughout the life of the product are considered and 'payback' periods were researched for 'green' energy.
- Obtaining of tenders from sub-contractors and organisation and Management of all labour and suppliers.
- Negotiation of tenders and obtaining 'trade' discounts at suppliers.
it appeared that these skills could be passed on to anyone considering completing their own Self Build, where instead of the traditional 'conflictive' arrangement with a builder you could have a Chartered Building Surveyor representing only your interests with transparency throughout the project, in terms of costs and decisions. The Project is shortly to appear in the National Press and we are in talks with some Timber Frame Manufacturers to become an 'Approved Project Manager'.